Monday, July 29, 2013

Aubrey's New Dresser

I love being inspired by Pinterest, so when Calvin's cousin was selling this dresser on a garage sale this spring, I figured I could use that inspiration to make a "new" dresser for Aubrey. She'd been using a tall dresser that only had four drawers and there wasn't enough room for all of her clothes. I loved the details in this dresser and the feet and figured I could paint it white and maybe do an accent color on the middle drawers. She helped me sand it a little and then prime it. I put a coat of white on it only to find that yellow was bleeding through. So I primed it again with a Kilz primer this time, and then put two more coats of white on top of that - no more yellow bleeding through. She loves the color blue, so I painted the inside of the middle drawers a bright blue color. We were originally going to replace all of the hardware, but for one - hardware is really expensive and two - Aubrey really liked the originals. So I bought some silver spray paint and Calvin painted them all for me. I then spray painted two coats of polyurethane on the top to give it a smoother finish that would help the paint hold up to use and make it easier to dust. In the end, I love how it turned out even if it took three times as long as I had originally thought.





1 comment:

Diane said...

WOW! The dresser looks great. You have more ambition that I would have to tackle that makeover.