The girls chose a Brave themed birthday party this year, so I searched Pinterest to find the perfect cake - one that I liked and one that I would actually be able to make. I found this one and used it as my inspiration: http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/originals/0d/14/10/0d141039a7d52b616ba0104fefa2b191.jpg. The bottom layer was two 12" cakes stacked and the top layer was two 9" layers stacked. I used buttercream frosting for the entire cake. The cake was covered in light blue frosting and then the trees were made from three different color greens. I had several different ideas for the rocks originally. I was going to make them out of fondant - but that was going to be too expensive. My next thought was to dye marshmallows, but that was a failure. So I texted my sisters, and Danielle asked her co-workers and found this recipe for rocks made out of fudge: http://www.hungryhappenings.com/2012/06/my-dad-rocks-edible-fudge-rocks-for.html. They turned out awesome - looked like rocks and tasted delicious! I bought the Brave figurines from the Disney website on sale - I got them for around $13 with shipping. The mama bear kept leaning so we put a vanilla wafer under her to keep her from tipping. The horse wouldn't stand so I taped skewers to the back of it to keep it from falling over. Jenna printed a sign and the cake was complete. I love how it turned out! It's definitely my favorite cake so far that I've made.

No comments:
Post a Comment