Monday, January 6, 2014

Coye's "New" Room

My baby's getting big. And while I'm not necessarily happy about that, it's happening whether I like it or not. Calvin's been asking for a few months now when we were going to move Coye to a toddler bed. I kept assuring him that we would at some point. Coye was sleeping so good in his crib - why mess with that? I could put him in there and know that he couldn't get out (although he did climb out once and climb in once). And the biggest reason I resisted was the fact that once that crib came down, I knew it was never going back up. That made me sad and I wasn't ready to face that quite yet. So I mulled the idea around in my head for a month or so and figured that around Christmas time would be as good as any to move him. By this age, both girls were already in big beds and had been for months. Since Coye loves tractors, I figured we could turn his room into a John Deere room. An added bonus was that it was already yellow and we wouldn't have to repaint. I began looking for bedding, but all I could find were ones on Etsy that were so expensive. So I thought that maybe I could make him a fleece tie blanket and that would go on his bed. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be so cute to make him a little quilt. I've never made a quilt before, but Calvin's aunt and mom both have. In a conversation with Kathy (Calvin's aunt), she volunteered to make him a quilt for part of his Christmas present. I was thrilled - I wouldn't have to make it yet he could still get one for his bed. We looked and looked and looked for material. The only ones I found that I liked were ones that were discontinued. I originally found the material that we used and while I liked it, I thought it was too blue and it wasn't quite long enough to fit his crib mattress (which is what the toddler bed uses). After my hunt turned up no material that I really loved, we figured that we could just use two panels and piece them together. It worked perfect! Not only could she make the quilt by using a panel and a half, but that left me extra material to make curtains and cover his lamp shade. I also bought a panel which I was able to make two pillow cases out of to match his quilt. I absolutely love how his room turned out! We moved him the middle of December and he is doing great! I figured he would get out of his bed constantly, but he's only gotten out of bed a couple of times. He's also been sleeping well, although he's been getting up sometime in the early morning lately (I think to go pee) and will then go back to sleep. I can't complain with how well it's going and although sometimes it makes me sad to think that we've moved past the baby stage officially now, I am excited about how much personality and spunk this little boy has.

East wall of nursery
West wall of nursery
North wall of nursery
The farm animal nursery
Coye's "new" big boy John Deere room
East wall - we moved his dresser here
South wall - new curtains
A close-up of the curtains. These are the first set of curtains that I've ever made and I'm very proud of how well they turned out, considering I had to piece the tractor/John Deere strip on the bottom.
North wall with his big boy bed - note the crate that Jenna made him for his baptism with his name on it. We had been using it to hold books but now we are using it as his hamper.
Coye's quilt from Aunt Kathy and the matching pillow case I made
I had just enough material left over to cover this lamp shade.
West wall with a new shelf from Target - Cal and I bought the John Deere wall hanging when we went away for our anniversary this summer. Coye also got a tractor night light for Christmas.
New light switch plate

1 comment:

Diane said...

Alicia,
I enjoyed reading all of your recent posts and looking at the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Coye's room looks great. You never fail to amaze my with your creativity and accomplishments.
May God continue to bless you, Calvin, and your family.
Diane