Monday, August 22, 2011
Glasses?!
Before starting kindergarten, each child has to have an eye exam. I took Aubrey the first part of June to have hers so that we could get it out of the way. I figured we'd be in and out no problem. She had never complained about not being able to see nor had her preschool teachers mentioned any kind of problem that they saw. So I was shocked when she got up in the exam chair and the doctor asked her to read a line of letters and she said she couldn't see them. The doctor had to make them several times bigger before she could read any of them. I couldn't believe it! After finishing the rest of the exam, the doctor said that Aubrey was nearsighted (can't see far away), but because it was summer and it was marginal, she didn't need them yet. We scheduled a re-check for the beginning of August to make sure that she really did need glasses. We went back about three weeks ago to get them checked and found out that she really does need them. We went through the rack of glasses and found some cute ones (I wanted to make sure hers were cute as the glasses I had first were hideous!) that we both liked. We had to wait a week for them to come in. After they came in, we went up and picked them up. Aubrey was so cute - as soon as she put them on, she was amazed that she could see the letters on the poster that she had never been able to see. As we were driving home, she thought it was great that she could see so far. As a parent, I felt terrible, but I had no idea that she couldn't see far away. Danielle made a good point that Aubrey didn't know what it was like to see things clearly from far away - it's always been that way to her. I'm just glad we found out now. She loves her glasses (it helps immensely that two of my nieces wear glasses all the time), and is pretty much wearing them all the time now. The doctor said that she has to wear them at school all day except for recess, but at home she doesn't have to if she doesn't want. She's very good about putting them in her case when she's not wearing them. We also had a talk with Chloe about how they aren't a toy and she's not allowed to touch them. Chloe of course wants glasses too and asked if she could get some for Christmas. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Aubrey, you look great with your glasses!
Post a Comment