Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baby Hiccups

I woke up last night to the sound of Aubrey coughing. For the past couple of nights, she's been coughing in her sleep. It doesn't seem to bother her too much (she stays asleep), but it sure is hard to listen to your child cough over and over again and know there's not much you can do about it. So after laying in bed listening to her (our room is right underneath hers) for a while, I decided to go upstairs and try putting more Vicks on her chest and give her another drink. She was sleeping when I went up there so I had to wake her up to do both of those, plus got her pillows propped back up. She fell right back asleep and I went back to bed. As soon as I laid down, the baby started moving around. Then I realized that among all this movement, the baby also had hiccups. It was a pretty cool feeling. When I was pregnant with the girls, they had the hiccups ALL the time. It was usually at least once a day that they would have them, so I thought it was very strange that this baby had not had the hiccups at all yet. I continued to lay there trying to go to sleep, feeling the baby move, and listening to Aubrey cough. I finally got up again and took her a small piece of peppermint candy cane (I'm way too scared to give her a cough drop). After sitting there for a few minutes to make sure she wasn't going to choke, I went back to bed again. The peppermint seemed to help, because Aubrey quit coughing as much, but the baby wasn't ready to go back to sleep yet. He/she continued to kick and move around for quite a while longer. Don't get me wrong - I'm thankful for an active baby, but last night I was pretty tired and just wanted to go back to sleep. I'm so thankful to my husband who fed and dressed Chloe who was up at 7 a.m. this morning. It was so nice to sleep for a little while longer before having to get up.

No comments: