Monday, June 11, 2012

Chloe's Black Eye

On Aubrey's last day of school, we went to chapel with her and then came home after she got her report card. After lunch, Kathy and I went to a local nursery to get some flowers (I hadn't planted anything yet). When we got home, I started planting some of the flowers while the kids played outside. We were outside until supper and then came back outside after we were done eating. Coye was by me on the side of the garage while the girls were playing by the back of the garage. They had gotten the t-ball stuff out to practice, which I didn't think much about because we've talked about being careful with the bat and making sure that no one is nearby when you swing. I heard Aubrey yell "Chloe, get out of the way" and then almost immediately after that - crying. Chloe came running to me screaming that Aubrey hit her in the eye with the bat. I freaked out and ran inside and got an ice pack before yelling at Aubrey that she needed to be more careful. She, of course, was upset that she had hurt Chloe and that she was in trouble, so she ran upstairs to her room and started crying. I took Chloe and Coye inside to get more ice. Chloe was more upset with the fact that she had to keep ice on her eye than her eye hurting. Coye started crying because he wanted to sit on my lap and wanted Chloe off of it. I tried calling Calvin several times, but he didn't answer at first and then he finally texted me back asking what was wrong. When I told him, he said he could come home but by that time I was calmer and Chloe was settling down, so I told him I had it under control. I talked to Aubrey and found out that she had told Chloe to move and then checked behind her and then swung her metal bat without double checking that Chloe had moved. We talked about how you have to be very careful and check always before swinging. Chloe and I talked about how you have to stay away from the bat. I'm just glad nothing was broken and that it was Chloe and not Coye. It was very scary and I should have handled it better. I took about a week for her eye to finally look back to normal. The swelling went down after a couple of days and then it just turned colors - deep purple to red to yellow. It definitely looked worse before it looked better. She was mostly unphased by it and was really a trooper.

Here are some pictures of it two days after it happened:





No comments: