Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chloe Danielle is here!

Our baby has been born! Chloe Danielle was born on Thursday, February 7th, at 3:15 p.m. She was 6 pounds 12 1/2 ounces and 20 inches long. She was a definite surprise to both Calvin and I as we were not expecting her to be born a week early. I honestly thought that I would be late, as I wasn't having many contractions, but things didn't exactly happen that way. I went to my doctor's appointment that previous Wednesday (February 6) and measured a little smaller than I had the previous week. My doctor did an ultrasound and found that the amniotic fluid around the baby was low. She ordered a stress test, which turned out fine, and said that I would have to be induced the next day. What a shock! I had to take all of my school stuff back that day, finish packing my bag for the hospital, and mentally prepare for having a baby. It was crazy! That Thursday morning, we were at the hospital by 7:00 a.m. and they started giving me pitocin around 7:45 a.m. My sister-in-law Ingrid came up from St. Louis to be with Calvin and I. What an amazing help she was! I'm so glad that she came! I was only in labor for 7 1/2 hours, which is much better than the 12-24 hours the doctor said that it could be. Things went pretty well and I was in the hospital until Saturday morning. I was very ready to go home!
Mommy, Aubrey, & Chloe
Baby Chloe
Leaving the hospital
My mom came and stayed with us for the first week. It was so nice having an extra pair of hands to help take care of both girls. She also made about 10 meals for me and put them in the freezer for me to make when we are having a rough day. She left the following Saturday, reassuring me that everything would be fine. Things have been going fairly well this week, now that we are on our own. Aubrey has been doing very well with Chloe. She loves to hold her sister and give her kisses. She is concerned when she doesn't see Chloe and asks where her baby is. Aubrey has been a bit whinier, but for the most part, she is adjusting fairly well. I think that she was glad when we came home from the hospital, though I know she had fun with Calvin's parents and aunt. Chloe has been doing pretty well also. She loves to sleep! She pretty much eats and sleeps all day. The past several nights she has not wanted to go to sleep after I feed her so I have been trying to keep her up more during the day, which is very challenging! Overall, things are going very well and I love being home with the girls!
Aubrey holding Chloe
Chloe sleeping - which she loves to do!

Chloe is actually awake for this picture!

Aubrey loves holding Chloe - even if she's crying!

Aubrey is painting in the tub with her paints from Uncle Nic and Aunt Ingrid.

Chloe almost has a smile on her face. It's so cute!

Chloe is so little!

Aubrey likes the bouncy seat more than Chloe does!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia and Calvin,

Congratulations again!! I enjoy reading about you and seeing the photos. Hope to see you soon.

Aunt Diane

Regan & Kent said...

Congratulations!!! We're excited for your family. Chloe is beautiful and we hope that you will continue to adjust to a new little one. God bless you guys.

Love,
Kent, Regan & Alex