Tuesday, March 12, 2013

American Girl Doll Closets

When I found the pattern for the doll bunk beds that Calvin made the girls for their birthdays, I also found a pattern for a closet (http://ana-white.com/2011/12/plans/star-doll-closet-american-girl-or-18quot-doll) that I thought would be really handy to put all of the clothes and accessories that they have in. They had everything stuffed in some plastic drawers that I had bought for Aubrey, but the drawers were crammed full of stuff and it was hard to find anything. So I printed off the pattern and showed it to Cal - I didn't tell him he had to make them. I just wanted him to see them and think about it. A couple weeks later I happened to be in the shop putting back some folding chairs and saw that he had started building them - two of them, one for each girl. I was so excited! He re-worked the plans a bit by adding a drawer and building three boxes to put the small stuff in. He then stained and varnished it (with help from his mom). They turned out better than I ever imagined they would be, and it is so awesome to be able to hang their doll clothes up and have everything organized. We had to rearrange their room a little bit, because they are big, but it gives them a place to keep all of their things and be able to find everything.

Front
Side
Inside
Boxes for the small stuff
Drawer for pants
Rod to hang the clothes on 
The girls were very excited! (See how big they are in relation to them?!)
In their room and organized (we just have to get one more handle for Aubrey's drawer)
The finished product


1 comment:

Diane said...

WOW! Nice work, Calvin! I'm sure the girls will enjoy the closets.