Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chore Chart

One of my goals this summer was to find and make a chore chart for the girls. They each had a magnetic responsibility chart in their rooms, but most of the time, we just didn't take the time to do them - it was all the way upstairs, they didn't have a visual reminder of what to do, and their jobs change daily so what they have to do one day, they might not need to do the next. I searched on Pinterest and found this idea to make individual cards (that I then laminated) that I could switch daily. I bought a couple cheap frames from Walmart and then some command hooks and put them together. It has turned out amazingly well. I absolutely love it and I don't have to spend time yelling at them to get things done or tell them what they need to do for the day. They just have to look at their charts to know. They usually have a set of morning chores and a set of afternoon/evening chores that vary by what needs to be done for the day. When they've finished a chore, they simply flip it over, which lets them and me know that it's been done. If they get all their chores done for the day, they get to put a sticker on their reward chart. Once they've received six stickers, they get $1.00. I wasn't sure I wanted to start giving them an allowance, but Calvin and I both thought this would be good motivation and give the girls a chance to learn about saving and spending their own money. I love the reward chart too, because if the girls tell me they don't want to do a certain chore, then I will tell them fine but they won't get a sticker for the day, which usually makes them quit complaining and get it done. I knew I wanted to put their names above their frames, but didn't want to paint or anything crazy like that, so I borrowed my sister-in-law's Cricut and some letter cartridges and cut the letters out of regular black Contact paper (which I had to order online because I couldn't find any in the stores). I love how it turned out!





1 comment:

Diane said...

Great Idea! I too think it is important to teach children about money.