When we went for Coye's six month well check, the doctor said it was time to start solids. While I was aware of this, I wasn't really looking forward to it - the mess, the extra time, none of it sounded very fun. Plus, after talking to one of my friends, I also realized that it's yet another sign that my baby is growing and getting bigger....something I don't want to acknowledge. But I know it's best for him, so we started. Before Coye was born, two of my friends went together and bought me the baby bullet baby food making system. In it was a recipe for brown rice cereal that you could make yourself. I made the girls' baby food, but I hadn't ever tried making them rice cereal. To be honest, it had never occurred to me that I could make that too. I thought that I'd give it a try. I'm all about making my own baby food. Just ask my husband. One shelf of our freezer is completely dedicated to food that I've made for Coye already. I just love the idea of knowing exactly what he's eating - no fillers or extras. Anyways, I used the baby bullet to grind up the rice. It worked amazingly well. I dumped in a 1/2 cup of brown rice and it ground it up to a powder that was the consistency of flour. I then added water and cooked it. It turned out a lot like Cream of Wheat, this boxed cereal that I used to eat as a kid. I tried some and thought it was pretty good. I kept some out for Coye to eat later that evening and froze the rest in ice cube trays. After he woke up from his evening nap, I sat him in the high chair and got his food ready. I just used a little bit of the rice and added some breastmilk - I probably added too much - it was pretty runny. The first bite he wasn't quite sure of...nor the second or third for that matter. He definitely didn't gobble it up, but he didn't fuss or cry either. Most of it ran out of his mouth, but I think some managed to go down. The girls were definitely more excited about him eating than he was. :) I've kept up with it and have fed him the past two days at lunch time. He still isn't too sure about it. He tries to push it out with his tongue, and yesterday he gagged on it (it was a little thicker). Eventually though, I'm sure he'll get the hang of it. I'm even starting to get used to the idea. :)
 |
| Before cereal - I'm sure he's wondering what is going on. I had just gotten the high chair down earlier that day and he hadn't ever sat in it before. |
 |
| After cereal - he had some all over his face. |
2 comments:
Don't you wonder what goes through the mind of babies? If he could talk, what would he say? Looking forward to seeing all of you at Thanksgiving.
He looks so big in that highchair!! Can't wait for him & Gabe to eat together. I can just envision the mess. :)
Post a Comment