Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Carving Pumpkins

Last week on Friday we finally sat down and worked on carving the girls' pumpkins that they had picked out at the pumpkin patch - nothing like waiting til the last minute I know. Both boys were sleeping so I thought that we would at least start working on them. Once I got the tops cut off, I had the girls work on scooping out the insides. They tried with a spoon, which didn't work that great for them. Then they used their hands for a while until they lost interest. Once I finished scooping everything out, I had them come back and draw on the faces they wanted cut out. Aubrey did a great job drawing a face that I could actually cut out, while Chloe's face consisted of lines. I had her pick out the shapes she wanted instead, which worked better. The pumpkins even had eyebrows! :) Later that evening after it was dark, we put a candle inside them and turned out all the lights. The girls loved it and Coye was mesmerized by the lights coming from the pumpkins.

Chloe and her pumpkin

Aubrey and her pumpkin

Digging out the insides

Using her hands

Drawing faces

The finished product

Complete with eyebrows - Aubrey's teeth were a drawn a little close together so her poor little pumpkin lost some teeth during the carving process

1 comment:

Diane said...

The pumpkins look great!